Adding Aesthetic Elements to Your Fish Tank
When you are thinking of getting an aquarium or a fish tank for your home, there are a lot of considerations that would go into the whole process. From picking an ideal fish, setting up the perfect environment for them and placing the right objects in order to decorate the fish tank.
Once you’ve decided on which fish you want to buy and you’ve done your research on how to prepare the perfect environment for them, next comes the fun part – decorating! Have you thought about which decorations you’d like to use for your aquarium?
From many plenty of options which are both ornamental and functional, to whimsical objects, artificial rocks are the most substantial ones that stand out in an aquarium. It is a common decoration seen in fish tanks. Artificial rocks enhance the aesthetic beauty of an aquarium making it look beautiful and realistic.
Like each and every kind of available decorations for fish tanks or aquariums, they all have advantages and disadvantages. The key is to know which matters more to you and that will help you decide on what to get.
Why use artificial rocks for fish tanks?
It would be beneficial for you to get artificial rocks to decorate your fish tanks, for a number of reasons. But before that, you’re probably thinking, “Why don’t I just go with real rocks?” Well, there are a number of disadvantages for using real rocks for your aquarium and here are some of them:
- Different rocks are only suitable for certain environments and specific fish. You’d have to do your research to find out if the rock types you are planning to buy would be alright for the type of fish you have.
- Algae tend to grow on real rocks over time, making your aquarium or fish tank harder to clean. You’d have to make sure you take out all the rocks in order to fully clean your fish tank.
- Real rocks are heavy. Placing too many real rocks in just one area of your fish tank – or generally placing too many real rocks in your fish tank – might compromise its durability. You’d have to find a way to support the fish tank so that it doesn’t break down.
Benefits of using Artificial Rocks for Aquariums
With all those disadvantages, you may be leaning towards decorating your tank with artificial or synthetic rocks. Read on to learn about the benefits of using artificial rocks to decorate your aquarium or fish tank:
- Artificial rocks would last longer and will stay in better shape than real rocks. Synthetic rocks were made to last underwater without becoming duller or losing shape. Placing fake rocks in your aquarium will allow you to enjoy these decorations till the time the fish is alive.
- Generally, fake rocks (and other artificial aquarium decorations) are easier to clean. Maintaining synthetic rocks is much easier than maintaining real ones.
- Using artificial rocks to decorate your aquarium would mean you won’t be taking anything away from the environment. Organic decorations are taken from specific areas in the environment, which may affect the sustainability. You don’t have to worry about this when you opt to use artificial rocks to beautify your fish tank.
- You’d have a lot more choices in terms of size and color if you choose to get artificial rocks. If you’re planning to have a specific theme or motif for your fish tank, you’d be better off getting synthetic rocks to go with it. You’d have hundreds of options to choose from, which would make selecting even more fun!
- Speaking of fun, since you’d have to option to get more colorful rocks to decorate your fish tank, it would add an element of enjoyment and whimsy to your tank.
- If you still prefer real rocks? There are artificial rocks which are also made to look like real ones like ARSTONE module rocks. For more organic themed fish tanks, you can opt to choose these kinds of synthetic rocks.
- When you select artificial rocks for your fish tank, you don’t have to worry about it affecting the chemistry or pH level in the water. Some rocks could alter these properties, which in turn could be detrimental to the health of your fish.
- When you’re buying artificial rocks, you don’t have to worry about insects or other bacteria which reside in real rocks to contaminate your fish tank. As artificial rocks are manufactured, you can be sure they are clean and they won’t make your aquarium water cloudy when you place them in.
- Since artificial rocks are lightweight, you don’t have to worry about putting additional or too much strain on your fish tank. You can place more artificial rocks in an aquarium as compared to real ones.
- Synthetic rocks (and all other synthetic decorations in general) are basically fish proof. Unlike organic decorations, fish or other creatures in your tank won’t bother nibbling on or being aggressive with these kinds of decorations as they are fake.
- Just like real rocks, artificial ones can provide hiding places and homes for your fish, which is one of the most important reasons for getting them in the first place.
Conclusion – Decorate Your Fish Tank Now!
Now that you know of the benefits of using artificial rocks to decorate your fish tank, you can start looking for the perfect ones for your aquarium. There are multitudes of options out there – from small colorful rocks to decorate a small fishbowl to big, luxurious ones which you can use to add mystery and depth to your large fish tank.
One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you have to be smart in choosing your artificial rocks (or any other decorations) for your fish tank. Also remember not to go overboard and overcrowd your tank with too many objects as this would not be good for your fish.
Having too many decorations – even lightweight synthetic rocks – would constrict your fish’s movements as well as limit its living space. Find a good balance between quantity and quality of decorations in your fish tank, which will make you and your fish happy!
I’m Toby Sanders with more than 15 years of experience in aquarium sector, i’m totally passionate about creating Aquarist Guide blogspot. I enjoy sharing all of my knowledge to help you guys effectively build your own tank. I believe that when you find the easiest way to raise your lovely fish successfully throughout my blog, you will definitely fall in love with fish keeping more than a popular hobby