- What are ARSTONE backgrounds and 3D rocks made from?
All our products are made from a special durable water resistant plastic which does not require any additional protective coatings.
- How durable are the paints on ARSTONE aquarium backgrounds?
We use a special paint, which is exceptionally resistant both to fresh and sea water. It is also absolutely safe for fish, plants and animals. The paint will never peel off because of the peculiarities of ARSTONE production technology.
- How long is the life span of ARSTONE backgrounds in aquariums and terrariums?
Our first background was installed in the tank more than 15 years ago, and it hasn’t changed so far. We give a 3-year warranty for each ARSTONE product as we stand firmly behind the quality of our products.
- How much space do ARSTONE backgrounds take up inside the tank?
- Are ARSTONE 3D aquarium module rocks hollow?
Yes, all ARSTONE rocks for aquariums and terrariums are hollow and thus light weight.
- Do ARSTONE aquarium rocks sink or float?
ARSTONE rocks for aquariums do float. That’s why you need to use aquarium silicone to glue them on the bottom (or/and on the sides of your tank). We do not produce sinking (heavy) rocks, because that technology is very “dirty” and pollutes the environment. Though our main concept and concern are eco-friendly decorations for tanks.
- Are the aquarium rocks painted the same way as the backgrounds?
All the aquarium rocks are painted in the same way, in the same style and with the same paints as all the other ARSTONE backgrounds.
So, if you wish to order Borneo Basalt Gneiss, you can be sure that any aquarium rock modules in Basalt Gneiss will be the same colour.
- Are ARSTONE backgrounds resistant to plecos fish (catfish)?
We have no information that catfish or plecos would damage our products. However, one cannot eliminate the possibility that particularly big catfish could chew anything. On the whole, the plastic we use to produce our backgrounds is an extremely strong material.
- Can reptiles damage the background inside a terrarium?
We’ve never had any complaints about that.
Installation & Maintenance
- How should I fix a background or a rock module inside the aquarium?
We recommend silicone. Use special aquarium silicons, as all-purpose silicons often contain anti-fungal additives that are dangerous for fish and plants. Read more about the installation into the aquarium tank.
- How can I install a background into the tank with transverse reinforcement?
There are 2 solutions in that case:
You can place the background into the tank by cutting it up with a fine saw. After that, the parts are stuck together inside the tank with aquarium silicone. You should saw the background jaggedly so that the joint was uneven and looked like a natural rock crack. The finer saw you use, the less visible seems you’ll get. You can also cut the background with a rotary power tool. This way is highly recommended for professionals.
If you do not want to cut the background, you can temporarily remove the cross pieces. After the background is installed, you should place them back.
- Is it possible to bend ARSTONE backgrounds and 3D rocks?
We do not recommend bending ARSTONE backgrounds as the material is solid enough for such manipulations. However our clients (usually professional aquarium stores and designers) succeeded in bowing our backgrounds with an industrial dryer (at about 600 degrees). If you still wish to bend a background by yourself, you must first partially remove the soft foam on the back of the background or make along the future bend a few deep longitudinal incisions 3-5 mm wide (by a cutter or a grinder) and only after that you can heat and bend the background.
- How do you recommend cleaning the backgrounds overgrown by algae?
The best way is to drain the tank, dry it and then the dry algae can be easily removed with a stiff brush. More about cleaning…
- Why do ARSTONE backgrounds often have uneven thickness?
ARSTONE backgrounds are hand-made and sometimes such deviations are possible. It’s just the peculiarities of the technology.
Shopping & orders
- Do you produce custom-designed backgrounds and decorations?
Yes, we produce custom-made products, but not always. You can request the desired non-standard size of the backgrounds and the rocks from our catalog.
- How long are ARSTONE products guaranteed for?
All ARSTONE products have a 3-year manufacturer’s guarantee which does not cover the consequential damages or normal wear & tear.
- If I’m a professional aquarist or if I want to sell ARSTONE products forth, are there special terms?
Please contact us.
- Should I pay any taxes or duties after I get my order?
If you are from the European Union, all the prices at our online shop are final for you. That means you will not have to pay any duties or taxes, because we produce and send from the Czech Republic, which is the EU.
If you order from a country that is not an EU member (e.g, Switzerland, Norway, USA, Australia, etc) you should check with your customs if there are any duties or taxes to pay. Each country has its own regulations about that.